Home > > China outbound visits rise twofold and exceed 87 million; Greece expects Chinese tourist influx | Daily Brief

China outbound visits rise twofold and exceed 87 million; Greece expects Chinese tourist influx | Daily Brief

02/04/2024| 2:26:10 PM| ChinaTravelNews

Hong Kong restaurants and hotels hoping for Messi-inspired boost to business; Chinese travelers prefer Southeast Asia during holidays.

Chinese travelers prefer Southeast Asia during Spring Festival holidays 

Many Chinese travelers still prefer Southeast Asian countries as their top overseas destinations for the upcoming Spring Festival, or Chinese Lunar New Year holidays, with Maldives, Singapore and Thailand topping the top 10 list, according to an online poll. Visa-free policies and friendliness become the main drivers.

China outbound visits rose twofold and exceeded 87 million in 2023

The China Tourism Academy estimates that outbound visits exceeded 87 million in 2023, a twofold increase compared with the previous year. The figure is more than half of that in 2019, before the COVID-19 pandemic hit the world. The number is projected to jump to 130 million by the end of 2024.

Hong Kong restaurants and hotels hoping for Messi-inspired boost to business as tourism sector calls for more sporting events

Some restaurants and hotels hope to score extra business from the visit of football superstar Lionel Messi and his team Inter Miami to Hong Kong, while the tourism sector has called for more such sporting events to boost the economy. Restaurants near Hong Kong Stadium, where 80,000 fans are expected over the weekend, predict a business surge. 

Greece expects Chinese tourist influx in 2024

Greece expects more Chinese tourists this year by offering a tailored tourism product to suit the needs of the Chinese market, a Greek tourism official said on Wednesday. “We are creating a comprehensive tourism product that will move all Chinese visitors,” Dimitris Fragakis, secretary general of the Hellenic National Tourism Organization, told state news agency Xinhua in an interview.

Thailand expects 8 million Chinese tourist arrivals 

Thailand expects 8 million Chinese tourist arrivals for 2024, the president of the state-owned Airports of Thailand said on Thursday. The announcement comes after the two countries mutually waived visa entry requirements for their nationals.

Cairns airport sees return of direct China flights

Cairns, a picturesque gem nestled in Tropical North Queensland, has seen the first direct flight from China in nearly four years land at its airport this week. The arrival of China Eastern Airlines flight MU571 from Shanghai marks the commencement of seasonal flights coinciding with the Chinese New Year festivities. This event heralds a promising influx of Chinese tourists eager to celebrate the Year of the Dragon.

Kenya receives cruise ship with 2,500 tourists as sector revival gathers steam

A luxury cruise ship carrying 2,500 foreign tourists including 200 Chinese docked at Kenya's port city of Mombasa on Saturday as senior officials reiterated the sector's revival was on course after pandemic-related hiatus. Since January, Kenya has already received more than 5,000 luxury cruise liner passengers. Kenya is negotiating with cruise ship companies to market the country's scenic attractions, boost tourist arrivals, generate jobs and spur economic growth.

Bhutan achieves record-breaking tourism earnings

Bhutan reported record revenue from the Sustainable Development Fee (SDF) last year, amounting to around USD 26 million. The country welcomed more than 103,000 tourists, 70% of which were from India, each contributing an SDF of 1,200 rupees (INR). The remaining 30% consisted of international guests who paid the full SDF. Tourism Director General Dorji Dhradhul anticipated a robust tourist season this year, particularly the influx of visitors from China, India, and the broader Asian regions. 

Maglev sightseeing express line boosts tourism in Fenghuang ancient town

Fenghuang maglev sightseeing express line officially opened for operation on July 30, 2022. The line starts from Fenghuang ancient town station, with a total length of 9.121 kilometers, connecting various scenic spots in Fenghuang ancient town in Xiangxi Tujia and Miao Autonomous Prefecture, central China's Hunan Province. For the upcoming Spring Festival this year, The express line is expected to send more than 10,000 passengers every day. 

TAGS: Fenghuang Ancient Town | Bhutan | Cairns airport | Daily Brief
©2022 广州力矩资讯科技有限公司 粤ICP备06070077号
Tell us more about yourself!