Global hotel industry’s leading guest acquisition platform SiteMinder revealed its annual lists of the distribution channels that brought the highest booking revenue to hotels over the past year.
Varying across 20 of the world’s top tourism destinations, the lists reveal the fast-growing successes of both direct booking strategies for hotels and the growth strategies of the travel industry’s consolidation-hungry giants.
In Asia, the top 12 hotel booking channels in 2019, based on total gross revenue made for SiteMinder’s customers, were:
3. Expedia Group
4. Hotel websites (direct bookings)
9. Global distribution systems
10. Flight Centre Travel Group
Other major findings included:
* The debut of Airbnb in six markets within Europe, Africa and the Americas, less than two years after launching its first global hotel technology partnership with SiteMinder to support traditional hospitality providers.
* The addition of Trip.com in another European market—Italy—alongside France, where the Chinese powerhouse made its western debut last year.
* The debut of Lastminute.com in two markets within EMEA, proving the continued rise of spontaneous decision-making among today’s consumers.
Brad Haines, Regional Vice President - Asia Pacific at SiteMinder, said “Of note in our list of the 12 most popular booking channels is Trip.com, which has risen over the past year and is testament to the value that Chinese travellers have had on Asian economies.”