The U.S. Department of Transportation late Friday denied a request by Chinese airlines to increase the number of flights allowed into the U.S. but said it was simply a procedural matter, not a provocation.
Seven Chinese carriers filed proposed schedules for future service when the DOT said earlier this week it would only permit four weekly flights in total. Air China, China Eastern, China Southern and Xiamen Airways each already operate one scheduled passenger flight per week to Los Angeles or New York. Three other carriers currently not operating flights — Beijing Capital, Hainan Airlines and Sichuan Airlines — also sought permission for future flights.
“[A]ny proposed scheduled passenger services by Chinese carriers in excess of or different from those services permitted by [the June 15 order] would be adverse to the public interest,” the DOT said in its ruling.
In a news release, the DOT explained that “this order is effectively an administrative action designed to maintain the parity in scheduled passenger services between the U.S. and Chinese carriers announced by the Department earlier this week. That parity gives the carriers of each side the ability to operate four round-trip scheduled passenger operations each week. ”
Read original article